Some of our Activities:
- In 2004, the Friends of the East Gwillimbry Library launched an Author Reading Series with readings held in the Town of East Gwillimbury Council Chambers. Award-winning authors have included: children’s author Deb Ellis, Helen Humphreys, Wayson Choy, Peter Robinson, John Bemrose, Judy Fong Bates, Andrew Pyper, Paul Quarrington, Barry Dempster,Catherine Bush, George Elliott Clarke, Stephen Brunt, Giles Blunt, Wayne Johnson, Alissa York, Joseph Boyden, David Bergen and Maureen Jennings.
- In the fall of 2005, the Friends held a raffle for a children’s car donated by the Mount Albert IGA. The raffle raised $771 for the library.
- Every year, the Friends assists with the Mount Albert and Holland Landing book sales.
- In 2006, the Friends formed a partnership with the Gwillimbury Quilt Guild to launch the Library Quilt Project.
- In the fall of 2007, a dessert cookbook, Squares etc., was published as yet another fundraising project. Due to its popularity, the second printing was required for the fall of 2008.
- In the autumn of 2008, a Friend’s raffle netted $897, which will be allocated towards the purchase of a bench for the Literacy Garden in front of the Holland Landing Branch.
- In partnership with the Mount Albert Garden & Horticultural Society, the East Gwillimbury Library Board, and the Town of East Gwillimbury, applied for and in the spring of 2009 received a $75,000 Ontario Trillium grant for the Literacy Garden at the Holland Landing Branch
Funding to the East Gwillimbury Public library for out-of-budget programs and projects for children and adults:
- Furnished a Children’s Corner in the Mount Albert Branch and commissioned a mural for the Corner.
- Enhanced the following collections: Literacy, Educational DVDs and Reference materials.
- In 2006 commissioned a mural for the Children's area of the Holland Landing Branch.
- Sponsors the "Write On" Contest for East Gwillimbury school children. Our donation supports the design and printing of booklets, and gift certificates to the winners.
- Sponsors the Summer Reading Club. Our donation includes funding for book bags and bookmarks for distribution to children during the summer months.
- Supports the purchase of books for the Holland Landing Adult Book Discussion Group facilitator.
- Funded Teen Book nook area at the Holland Landing branch and thus created a space for the Teens of East Gwillimbury.
- Raised funds to purchase Story Time Carpets, Large Print books, Audio Books, Graphic Novels, and a Wii game system with games used for Library programs.
- In 2008, the Friends funded an Accessible Internet computer for each branch of the Library. These computers possess magnification and text to audio software, larger monitors, and large type keyboards.
- Supports Books For Babies literacy project.
Community Sponsors Supporting Our Library:
The Friends wishes to thank the following sponsors for their support:
Southlake Cinemania Film Circuit - up to $5,000 a year
In Kind Sponsors-
Bell Mobility, Barb Elend Pottery, Mount Albert IGA
Thank you to the East Gwillimbury Library Board and the staff of the East Gwillimbury Public Library and Mayor James Young and The Town of East Gwillimbury for their enthusiastic support.